UPDATE: The submission deadline has passed. Thank you to everyone for submitting! If you'd like to receive updates about our next call, please subscribe to our mailing list.
Castle of our Skins announces part three of its #BCMC – Black Composer Miniature Challenge! Composers who identify as Black and part of the African diaspora are challenged to compose pieces for soprano and cello! Each piece must be 30 seconds (give or take) or less. For #BCMC 3.0, composers who plan on setting text are asked to use a haiku and/or tanka from the Castle of our Skins' Black Poet Miniature Challenge (#BPMC) project!
Details for this year’s #BCMC 3.0 are below!
Pieces can be scored for:
- solo soprano OR solo voice (with the possibility of a soprano realizing the piece)
- solo cello
- soprano/voice & cello
* if wanting to use auxiliary instruments, electronic or digital elements, or think outside of these parameters in any way, please consult with Anthony at anthony [at] castleskins.org BEFORE starting your piece!
IMPORTANT! For composers using text: ALL TEXT FOR #BCMC3.0 MUST COME FROM THE HAIKU AND TANKAS FROM THE FIRST #BPMC (Black Poet Miniature Challenge).
TEXT CAN BE FOUND HERE: https://app.box.com/s/3qwzeraks3hjoa2ygodpzfp4b1s08ll3
- All composers who enter will receive up to $175 : $75 for composing the miniature and $100 for inclusion in the digital publication, if desired. Payment will happen in two installments; all entrants will receive $75 by March 15, 2023. Composers who agree to be included in the digital anthology will receive an additional payment of $100 by June 1, 2023. (Inclusion in the digital anthology is non-exclusive; composers still retain 100% of the rights to their original compositions.)
- All composers will receive high quality video recordings of their miniatures that will be accessible on the Castle of our Skins' website and social media platforms. Works may also be performed live in upcoming and future seasons.
- Pieces are due February 24, 2023 by 11:59PM; early submissions are welcomed and encouraged!
- Video recordings of all miniatures will be presented digitally in June 2023 (Black Music Month) on Castle of our Skins' Instagram and Facebook social media channels. An anthology of particpiating works will also be availalbe for digital download in June.
How to enter:
- PREFERRED ENTRY FORMAT! Please send all requested materials using the google form found here: https://forms.gle/PAdjJDtLTNTDfWo6A
- If using the google form is not possible for you, then please send your sheet music (as a PDF) and any necessary material for performance (parts, tracks, notation keys, etc ...) in any relevant format to anthony [at] castleskins.org . *Note: if sending multiple files, please use Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, WeTransfer, or other multifile web service. PLEASE DO NOT SEND MULTIPLE ATTACHMENTS!
- along with your piece submission, please send a creative headshot and a 100 word or less bio, with any social media handles/website links you would like shared (even if you've submitted and were selected in the past!)
- NOTE: This is part two of a four-part project! Composers can be part of only two of the four #BCMC projects. Composers from #BCMC 1.0 who applied to #BCMC 2.0, can NOT apply to #BCMC 3.0 or #BCMC 4.0.
Writings, musings, photos, links, and videos about Black Artistry of ALL varieties!
Feel free to drop a comment or suggestion for posts!